Yay! It’s the first day of summer, I’m sure you have a long list of summer fun days planned. I know we do! We have more things that we want to do than days to do them. It just goes so fast.
We want to go to the beach, head out for a fun weekend of camping, have fun at the zoo and maybe have a picnic or two. It really doesn’t much matter what we do or how we spend our summer days as long as we are together having fun.
This is a sponsored post
Along with all the family fun this summer I find it important to keep the learning going. I never really believed the whole Summer Learning Loss thing until I became a homeschool mom and experienced it for myself. So with that lesson learned, thankfully early on, now I make sure to schedule some learning time in. I try to make sure it’s fun, relaxed and easy though. No busy table work. (yuck)
Statistics About Summer Learning Loss
- An equivelant of ONE MONTH of overall learning is lost over the summer break.
- SIX WEEKS in the fall are spent re-learning old material to make up for summer learning loss.
- TWO MONTHS of reading skills are lost over the summer.
- TWO & A HALF MONTHS of math skills are lost over the summer.
- It can take up to TWO MONTHS after the starting up school again for your child’s brain development to get back on track.
- By the end of 6th grade students who have experienced summer learning loss over the years are an average of TWO YEARS behind their peers.
- TWO to THREE HOURS per week is all it takes to prevent summer learning loss.
- TWO MONTHS of Subject-focused learning is all it takes to improve specific learning skills.
Those are some pretty crazy statistics huh?! I have seen this happen first hand in my own kids. It really isn’t hard to prevent summer learning loss though. Most parents think to make this happen their kids have to keep up with what they have been doing year-round, but that’s not the case. Just a few hours a week and maybe a little more if you have a child that is struggling in a particular area.
What We are Doing to Prevent Summer Learning Loss
This summer, I am focusing on reading with my littlest lady, she is really starting to have a lot of lightbulb moments and I don’t want to miss out on this critical learning time. I find that if I take too big of a break with her, we have to start all over.
My kids hated math! 😢 It was worse than pulling teeth to get my girls to do anything math related. It was causing stress and hurting our relationships. Not anymore. They love to do their math work and do it happily, no questions asked, EVEN in the SUMMER! Now that’s a miracle. They are loving math and mastering it quickly now! It is nothing short of AMAZING!
If you would like to get your kids on the fast track to math success in a really easy way I highly recommend CTCMath. We are in love with this program. It’s online video lessons. We can do it anywhere. In the summer we are rarely home, so most of the learning happens on our tablets or my phone when we are out and about.
For a limited time you can get a special discount of 60% off PLUS 6 bonus months for FREE! That’s 18 months total!
All you need to do is sign up here before July 31, 2017 to redeem this offer. And as always, CTCMath is backed by their 365 day money back guarantee. So no worries!
Don’t forget, the best part about CTCMath is that your child can start and stop the video lessons at any time. This will come in handy when they want to balance their fun and learning.
Happy summer and happy learning!
Besides this blog, she also hosts a Homeschooling 101 Community on Facebook. She's passionate about lifting moms out of the homeschooling trenches that are discouraged, overwhelmed or feeling alone or isolated. Her hope is to point them to Christ and equip them to rise up with a new found hope and joy within that He alone can provide.
Latest posts by Forest Rose (see all)
- When You Feel Like You are Failing as a Parent - September 12, 2017
- 3 Steps to Getting Your Kids to Help End Homeschool Clutter - September 5, 2017
- First Day of Homeschool Traditions and Printables - August 25, 2017