Looking for Free MLK Copywork? Here are 20 famous quotes to add a little History to your copywork lessons! Instant Download no email needed!
Were you aware that one of Martin Luther King Jr.’s advisers had recommended that he skip the phrase “I have a dream” from his well-known speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on August 28, 1963? Thankfully, King did not follow that advice.
Those four short words from his speech and quotes from many others have inspired us and given us the courage to move forward towards our own dreams and stand up for what we believe in.
In honor of a great man, I decided to make this Martin Luther King Jr. Printable Copywork for my kids and yours. Here are a few of King’s many many pearls of wisdom to help remind us of how tremendous the power of vision is.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Copywork
- “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
- “Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.”
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
- “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
- “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
- “Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
- “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'”
- “There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right.”
- “Intelligence plus character–that is the goal of true education.”
- “Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”
- “We must come to see that the end we seek is a society at peace with itself, a society that can live with its conscience.”
- “The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: ‘If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?’ But… the good Samaritan reversed the question: ‘If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?'”
- “We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.”
- “Everybody can be great … because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
- “Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a constant attitude.”
- “Those who are not looking for happiness are the most likely to find it, because those who are searching forget that the surest way to be happy is to seek happiness for others.”
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- “I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.”
What is Copywork?
Copywork is an excellent learning tool. The educational value is awesome.
Copywork, when done properly, is simply copying a passage of writing word for word making sure to copy the punctuation perfectly. You can use a passage from anything including a book a child loves or any interest they may have. This training improves penmanship, as well as enables your child to learn different writing styles and techniques.
Copywork is said to be unnecessary in the fast-paced internet world of today, but I would argue that it has many benefits for children to learn. Copywork is very popular in the modern homeschooling world today.
You May Also Like: These Free Martin Luther King Jr. Day Notebooking Pages.
4 Benefits of Copywork
Copying meaningful passages helps students remember the ideas or information in the passage.
2. Attention to Details
It requires close attention to details such as spelling and punctuation that may be ignored when reading through a passage quickly.
3. Muscle Memory
The physical act of writing stimulates muscle memory and helps the student transfer letter formation and spelling to long-term memory.
4. Composition Skills
Reading and copying good literature familiarizes students with the grammar and rhythm of effective writing. The result is often improvement in their own composition skills.
I truly hope this blesses you and your children.
PIN IT FOR LATER!!
Get 4 months free on all annual shared hosting plans at WP ENGINE, BUY NOW! Offer only valid on Startup, Professional and Growth plans.
For more homeschooling inspiration, tips and encouragement, make sure to follow KFH on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter, and subscribe to our Newsletter for some FREE GOODIES!
Forest Rose is a God Loving, Blessed Wife, & Mama to 3 girls. She’s passionate about lifting moms out of the trenches that are discouraged, overwhelmed, or feeling alone or isolated. Her hope is to point them to Christ and equip them to rise up with a newfound hope and joy within, that He alone can provide. Besides blogging, she also loves to create printables!